Our design and development process
The design & development process of new projects follows the following steps from initial ideas to publication on the ImpVis website:
- Connect with our community.
- Propose a new project or sign up to an advertised one.
- Design the visualisation based on the aims & learning objectives.
- Review of the visualisation by peers and the staff partner(s).
- Publication of the visualisation on the website.
1. Connecting with our community
ImpVis has three platforms of communication for separate purposes:
- The website, which is public-facing and displays all our finalised visualisations plus current projects. If you wish to become an ImpVis member, you need to register so the site's full functionality is available to you.
- This Wiki, which is our 'dynamic knowledgebase'. Here you can find out everything about how we work together, as well as guidance to help you design and code up your visualisation. Projects have their own associated Wiki pages which serve as 'ReadMe' files to document their aim, objectives, and development. Most of the Wiki is only visible to ImpVis members. If you are signed up to the ImpVis website, you will automatically have an associated Wiki account with the same login details. Alternatively you can create a Wiki account by clicking the 'Create Account' link at the top right of the Wiki page.
- Our Teams space, which is the main communication platform for our team. This is where we set up meetings and discuss projects in dedicated channels. Request access to our Teams space here.
2. Getting involved on a visualisation project
Once you have connected with our community, you can get started on a project. You can choose to propose your own project, or sign up to an advertised project. Read all about how to do this here.